The original excavators of the Middleburg site assigned numbers to individual features. Middleburg feature numbers were assigned consecutively throughout the entire project. Since Middleburg feature numbers were assigned by the excavator, they do not have a F-prefix as DAACS-assigned feature numbers do.
Feature Groups are comprised of features whose architectural or landscape or spatial/Feature groups are sets of features whose spatial arrangements indicate they were part of a single structure (e.g. structural postholes, subfloor pits, hearth) or landscape element (e.g. postholes that comprise a fenceline). Feature Groups were not assigned by the original excavators. In 2008, feature groups were assigned by DAACS in consultation with Leland Ferguson. These feature groups have a FG-prefix, which precedes the number (i.e. FG01 equals Feature Group 1).
Things to know about Middleburg features:
1. Due to the Field Specimen (FS) system of assigning context numbers, unexcavated features were assigned features numbers but were never given context numbers. To represent these unexcavated features in the database, DAACS assigned context (FS) numbers that are comprised of an F-prefix followed by the feature number. For example, Feature 68 was not excavated and had no FS/context number. A DAACS context was assigned as “1300-F068.” For a complete list of these unexcavated features, please see the Before You Begin page.
2. Similarly, excavators also did not assigned FS numbers to features that were excavated but that contained no artifacts. To represent these unexcavated features in the database, DAACS assigned context (FS) numbers that are comprised of a F-prefix followed by the feature number. For example, Feature 102 was assigned the context “1300-F102.”
3. There are three gaps in the feature number list. Features 14, 68, and 74 do not exist. Feature 14 was initially thought to be a separate feature but was later deleted and designated part of Feature 19. Feature 68 was assigned a feature number but was determined later not to be a feature. There was no field record for Feature 74 and it does not show up on any sketch maps. It appears on a feature log form as being excavated in 1987 but the feature form contains no other information.
4. Parts of a brick foundation excavated in 1986 were not assigned feature or field specimen numbers in the field. In order to identify these features in the database, DAACS has assigned context and feature numbers to these brick features (F143 and F144).
5. Feature 95 was excavated and contained artifacts but was not assigned an F.S. number in the field. As a result, DAACS assigned a FS/context to these artifacts and they have been cataloged as context “F095.”
6. All features have associated contexts except for the following features: F109, a limestone marker, F116, a fireplace backing, and F117, a large iron pipe. The pipe was not removed and therefore not cataloged into DAACS.
7. Portions of a number of features are represented on the Middleburg site map with dotted lines. These dotted lines are approximations of the features' dimensions since they were mapped in one quadrat but not mapped in the other quadrats. However, excavator descriptions on unit and feature forms indicate that these features extended into other quadrats and therefore the dotted lines represent DAACS's best guess as to the extent of these features.
|067.2||Posthole||157, 670, 766|
|142||Rubble Scatter||1199, 1198|
|028||Rubble Scatter||569, 560, 368, 530, 543, 617, 559, 597, 711, 580, 591, 550, 570|
|046||Rubble Scatter||490, 606, 608, 701|
|143||Brick in Course||F143|
|144||Brick in Course||F144|
|001||Trench, utility||143, 117, 118, 119, 120, 130, 131, 132, 133, 145, 144, 151, 152, 245, 247, 262, 261, 259, 205, 204, 153, 154, 155, 268, 080, 088, 079, 068, 075, 076, 083, 086, 090, 101, 093, 113, 094, 105, 099, 103, 110, 039, 163.2|
|002||Trench, unidentified||207, 275, 210, 211, 222, 158, 159, 179, 181, 531, 771, 775|
|003||Pit, unidentified||729, 742, 743|
|004||Pit, unidentified||142, 095, 173|
|005||Pit, unidentified||174, 097|
|008||Trench, unidentified||214, 201, 203|
|012||Tree Stump||293, 289|
|019||Hearth, possible||519, 613, 633, 673|
|031||Trench, unidentified||391, 400|
|054||Not a Basin/Cut||566, 568, 574, 577|
|055||Not a Basin/Cut||567, 596|
|059||Pit, unidentified||697, 650, 603|
|061||Trench, unidentified||646, 623, 630|
|062||Posthole, possible||678, 651|
|067.3||Trench, unidentified||717, 700, 579, 611|
|109||Not a Basin/Cut|
|116||Not a Basin/Cut|
|117||Not a Basin/Cut||974|
|118||Brick in Course||989|
|119||Brick in Course||F119|
|124||Unidentified||1007, 1008, 1005|
|141||Tree hole||1191, 1192|