East Kitchen Yard
Things you need to know about the East Kitchen Yard before you use the data:
- The entire site was carefully hand-troweled and screens were not used for artifact recovery.
- Measurements are in feet and tenths of feet.
- Most of the Kelso excavations were conducted using the "Wheeler Box" excavation system of 8-by-8 foot quadrats with 2-foot baulks.
- Quadrats are in a variety of sizes, including 2-by-2 feet, 2-by-8 feet, 2.5-by-6 feet, 8-by-8 feet, and 10-by-8 feet.
- Although excavators recorded opening and closing elevations for most quadrats, these measurements are not always related to a known, fixed datum point. Therefore, context elevations were not entered into the database.
- All faunal remains were analyzed externally by the Colonial Williamsburg Department of Archaeology.
- Excavation of many contexts and quadrats from both the Kelso and Kern excavations were stopped arbitrarily prior to encountering and identifying sterile subsoil.
- In the DAACS database, the East Kitchen Yard project is designated as Project "110". Artifact ID numbers for artifacts associated with the project therefore begin with the 110 prefix.